March 14

We continued our experiments with lime water this week by collecting a large amount of carbon dioxide gas in a beaker which then was forced into the lime water solution. We produced the CO2 by mixing vinegar and baking soda. Just as in the previous experiment ,when we blew CO2 from our lungs into the calcium hydroxide, the liquid turn cloudy; but this time the change happened very quickly and was much more dramatic. We also used the collected CO2 as a fire extinguisher to put out a candle flame.

The children made some graphs this week using data primarily from two books: If the World Were a Village and If America Were a Village by David J. Smith. Both sources look to simplify the relatively complex information as if the world and national population were just one hundred people. For example: If the world were a village of one hundred people 20 would consume 80% of all the energy in it and 80 would share the other 20% of the energy. We also looked at a National Geographic survey called The Face of Seven Billion which seeks to identify who the most typical person on earth would look like based on the demographic information. You can go to the following website to have a look for yourself: ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/03/age-of-man/face-interactive

The students also began to study the human nervous system this week by testing and then graphing different places on their hands and arms where they felt more or less sensitive to a simple stimuli from a paper clip.

Here are the homework assignments:

Spelling Lesson # 20 First two pages due Monday 14 th Challenge List

TM 4 89, 90,91,147, 149 TM 5 80,87,88,222,224 TM 6 81,82,205,217,229,231 Due 15th

*Questions and /or Reading for Novel Due Wednesday 16th

Boy of the Painted Cave Read up to Chapter 9 Due 3/ 16

Blackships Before Troy

Find places in your reading where a soothsayer predicts some events. What do they say about the future?

As you read the story did you find that their predictions were true?

Read to page 90 and answer the question by 3/16

Detectives in Togas

Detectives in Togas is a mystery story set in ancient Rome. A mystery should present puzzling and interesting events to the reader that can’t easily be explained or might just seem mysterious.

Answer one of the following questions for nest Wednesday:

What are some of the events in the first six chapters that help create an air of mystery for the reader?

Does the author, Henry Winterfeld, effectively create the setting of ancient Rome for the reader? What are some of the ways he achieves or does not achieve that goal?

Assuming that the Xanthos school is typical of a school in ancient Rome compare your school today with the Xanthos school. What do you like the most about the Xanthos school? What do you most dislike?

· Read to page 125 by next Wednesday 3/16

Challenge Short List

1. neurons 2. dendrites 3. synapse

4. recurring number 5. auditorium 6. alphabetically

7. armadillo 8. boysenberry 9. calliope

10.dandelion 11. tuberculosis 12. zeppelin